Supporting your child with Mathematics
Maths is everywhere! Below are some ideas you can do at home to assist your child with their maths:
- Play board games using two or more dice to practice + - x
- Add the numbers on car number plates.
- Collect numbers on car number plates and arrange them in order of size
- On a journey – first to spot a number greater than ------
- Take your child shopping. Notice and discuss prices, ask the child to find an item on the shelf and to tell you the cost. Which is the best buy?
- Notice and talk about numbers on houses and buses.
- Let your child take part in baking activities. Follow the recipe allowing your child to use scales and measuring jugs.
- Encourage your child to use money, counting and giving change.
- Round prices to give an estimate of the total cost.